Saturday, March 14, 2020

Wild love

Saturday in the Second Week of Lent

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,
calling upon your Name and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
Psalm 75:1

I am selective as I cut a few branches of forsythia to bring into the warmth of the house. The bare limbs are dotted with buds, a few showing hints of the wild yellow color that will soon burst forth.

Wild too are the bushes themselves, branches reaching along a tangled path into the spring sunshine. The ones I have cut bend and curve, more unruly than elegant. Which is perhaps why I love them, their willful waywardness speaking to my jumble of a soul.

Out of the tangled mess of this past week the possibility for new life tenaciously persists. I am reminded that our God is not tame. The Holy Spirit is ferocious and undaunted. The loving Word will not be silenced or diminished. Life continues to reach forth with wild abandon.