Friday, March 13, 2020

Joy in the Cavern

Friday in the Second Week of Lent

Come, let us sing to the Lord;
let us shout for joy to the Rock of our salvation.
Psalm 95:1

There it is, greeting me first thing in the morning. This psalm, this ancient hymn first sung thousands of years ago--which has been part of my daily prayer practice for more than 25 years--calling for joy.

And not just joy. Singing and shouting for joy.

It is spiritual discipline that leads me to prayer each morning. And today, this spiritual discipline refuses to allow me to disregard joy. The psalm continues, reminding me that in the hands of the Holy One are all the caverns of the earth and the heights of the hills. Caverns and heights that reverberate with the loving presence of the Almighty.




Image by Hans Braxmeier from Pixabay