Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Imbedded

Tuesday in the Second Week of Lent

Hear my cry, O God,
and listen to my prayer.
Psalm 61:1

Throughout the day, the beginning of a prayer keeps running through my head. It is part of a blessing that I have often heard before, and I try to call all the words to mind. Not being able to remember it just right, I resort to an internet search. There I find a lively discussion of its history, including posts from people of their fond memories of being inspired by these words as children.

Ritual words are powerful. And prayers that we learn at a young age stay with us. They become imbedded into our core selves, speaking into our lives over time.

As I pray the words now, I take them into my heart, hoping to anchor them there so that they stay. So that I can recall them at will, in times of need, in times of longing, in times of fullness.

Go forth into the world in peace.
Be of good courage.
Hold fast that which is good.
Render to no one evil for evil.
Strengthen the fainthearted.
Support the weak.
Help the afflicted.
Show love to everyone.
Love and serve the Lord,
rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit.



Image by Siggy Nowak from Pixabay