Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Fruition

Wednesday in the Fourth Week of Lent
The Feast of the Annunciation

Will you not give us life again,
that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,
and grant us your salvation.
Psalm 85:6-7

Photo credit Anne E. Kitch
It is only after I begin my morning prayer that I remember what day it is, the Feast of the Annunciation, when we remember the angel Gabriel visiting Mary to tell her the astonishing news that she will be the Godbearer. It is so hard to keep track of the days right now with all the uncertainly and lack of routine. 

Each day I seek to center myself in the now. I try to focus on one step at a time, one piece of work, one act of mercy, telling myself if I can do that it will be enough.

And today, into this now, I am reminded of God’s holy blessing that will take nine months to come to its fulness. Where will we be in nine months? I do not know. But even now God is acting to bring about new life. I do not know what that looks like, but I do know that I am called to participate in it. To help bring it forth. To continue to plant mercy and hope in the soil around me, and to give the growth over to God.