Tuesday, March 3, 2020

The long way

Tuesday in the First Week of Lent

This God is our God for ever and ever;
he shall be our guide for evermore.
Psalm 48:13

I look up from my task and check the clock. There is time. I can take the long way to my appointment.

Given the option, I will choose the back roads. I prefer a slower, more meandering pace to the directness and speed of the highway. The more twists and turns, the better. I like to take in the landscape, to feel connected to the geography through which I travel. I find beauty in farms, old houses, creeks, small-town centers, fallow fields and bare forests. I don’t even mind getting a bit lost, as long as it doesn’t make me late.

I don’t want to rush through Lent. I want to make the most of this time to observe and respond to the places in the background of my life which have gone unnoticed. I want to be open to discover where God will guide me. I am even willing to get a bit lost, knowing that the Holy One draws me to a destination that will save my very soul.