Friday, March 20, 2020

Tender takeover

Friday in the Third Week of Lent

O Lord, my God, my Savior,
by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;
incline your ear to my lamentation.
Psalm 88:1-2

The streetlights float in the fog across the way, each a shimmering beacon.  And then they transfigure, and I see them as specific people--those I have intentionally reached out to in the past few days and the ones who have cast their loving care toward me.

We are a web, woven out of faith and need and a tenacious determination to hurl love into the world.

It’s as if their spirits, their holy souls, hover close to me, to surround me in this place where none of us can gather in any other way. As I say my morning prayers, I name them. Then, gently, the lights recede into the daylight which is still dimmed by fog.

But what is not dimmed is the space they have now occupied in my heart. A tender takeover. Into which I invite by prayer all those who I cannot see or touch.


Image by Eugen Visan from Pixabay