Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Rooted

Tuesday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;
serve the Lord with gladness
and come before his presence with a song.
Psalm 100:1

“What are the blessings you are finding,” my friend asks on a Zoom call in the early evening. I look back over my day, and discover one thing I am grateful for, and then another, and another. Recalling these brings a sense of respite to my weary soul. Without naming them, I might have been left only with the fatigue of a day filled with trying to make things work.

In order to replenish my soul, I need to make room for joy as well as rest. I need to continue to cultivate a grateful heart. To utter joy into this mess is an act of bravery. Not because it is foolhardy, but because it proclaims love in the midst of fear and that very act is one of strength and resilience. I remember that courage comes from the heart, that the very word itself has its roots in the Latin cor, the word for heart.  I want to remain rooted in Love.