Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Where to begin

Ash Wednesday

I will instruct you and teach you in the way that you should go;
I will guide you with my eye.
Psalm 32:9


In the early morning I sit and wonder where I am going. It’s not as if Ash Wednesday has snuck up on me. It’s not as if I don’t have a calendar. It’s not as if this day were not predictable. Nevertheless, I wonder.

How shall I begin? In giving up? Giving in? Giving over? Giving of myself?

I know enough to know that the path ahead will invite me, surprise me, thwart me, cause me to stumble, compel me to depend on the help of others, seem impassable, reveal new vistas, make more of me. And as I contemplate this beginning, I realize that I do not need to know the way ahead, because all along the Way I will be instructed, taught, patiently guided, and loved.

And so the journey begins.