Friday, March 8, 2019

Stepping stones of mercy

Friday after Ash Wednesday

I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy;
for you have seen my affliction; you know my distress.
Psalm 31:7

The voice on the other end of the phone is calm, matter of fact, and kind. With a few direct questions, he gets to the heart of the matter, as if he grasps my dilemma with more clarity than I do. Probably he does. For me the difficulty is all consuming, and that in itself hampers my ability to see the possibilities of different paths and outcomes.

It is the recognition, the being known, that brings solace.  The ability of someone else to climb into my mess with me, and tell me they know the mess, and assure me they know a way forward.

I feel the sweet relief of compassion. Gratitude washes through me and I offer a prayer of thanks to God. A stranger along the way has shown me God’s mercy, that I am worthy of kindheartedness and consideration. And while the difficulty still lies ahead, I realize I do not need to let it take over my life. After all, my life is in the hands of the One who knows me through and through and has promised me love.

I can take the next step. And the one after that. I can walk in God’s love.