Friday, March 22, 2019

Being known

Friday in the Second Week of Lent

O God, you know my foolishness,
and my faults are not hidden from you.
Psalm 69:6

I pick up the prayer beads enjoying the feel of them in my hand. A gift from a friend, they came to me already imbued with prayer.

I am surrounded by other gifts, other prayers. A mug. A shell. A bracelet. An ashen stone. Such tokens not only accompany me through the wilderness of Lent, they remind me that this is not a solitary journey. I have traveling companions. People who also journey. People who know me. People who want to be known.

It is a comfort to be known and loved. Known for all my faults and shortcomings and growing edges and be loved. And if I am truly known, then also known for my goodness and gifts and accomplishments and loved. We are complex creatures of an abundant and all-knowing God who loves us perfectly.

I touch each token, grateful beyond all measure for those who travel with me as together we grow in the knowledge and love of God.