Saturday, March 23, 2019

Windswept

Saturday in the Second Week of Lent

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,
calling upon your Name and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
Psalm 75:1

Even from within the protection of my solid house I feel the power of the wind. I know without looking up the weather forecast that it is bitter cold. The sun may shine with spring-like brightness warming the air, but I know the moment I step outside biting gusts will cut to the bone.

I measure the wind’s force in the frantic staccato of the wind chimes and the frenzied rushing through the trees and the path it takes bending branches to make way. Somehow this display of might and energy makes me feel alive, dynamic, enthusiastic.

In this season of Lent I am reminded of the call to love God with all my heart and mind and strength. I think such complete love might sweep through my soul like this spring wind sweeps down my street. Vigorous. Cleansing. Exuberant.

Calling upon the name of God is not a small thing. I am perhaps foolishly eager to step out into the day and be swept up with all of creation