Monday, March 25, 2019

Annunciation

The Feast of the Annunciation
Monday in the Third Week of Lent

The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,
and our land will yield its increase.
Psalm 80:3

I hear the rustling in a vague location somewhere above me. I recognize the sound; the robin is once again building a nest in the eaves of my house. I have never actually seen such a nest. It is tucked away beyond my ability to spy it out. But I hear the scratching and I see the bird going to and fro—evidence of industry and preparation.

I also see the beginnings of rust color buds on the red maple out my window. I feel the warm dampness in the air and smell the difference in the soil. New life is on its way.

I have done nothing to make any of this happen. In fact, most of the time I am oblivious to the profusion of ongoing creation that surrounds me. Only when I take the time to be still and notice do I become aware of the gift of being placed within this astonishing cycle of life.

All around me the heralds of the Holy One announce new life and prosperity and redemption. And most astonishing of all, I am invited to the celebration.


Image source: 123rf.com