Saturday, March 16, 2019

Ways and vistas

Saturday in the First Week of Lent

You trace my journeys and my resting-places
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Psalm 139:2

I arise a bit earlier than my norm to allow time for the drive to my morning destination. My work encompasses several counties, so I am often on the road. On any given day, I may travel in numerous directions from my home or office in order to attend to business and vocation.

I enjoy my excursions. I delight in familiar routes and landscapes, and how they change from season to season, and how I can be surprised by a new vista along a way I have traveled often.

And as I drive along, I feel the connection with the people who inhabit this beloved landscape. Friends and companions and colleagues and partners in ministry await me at destinations. And God is with me in my journeying. Always we are in this together.

As I prepare to leave my house, I offer a prayer of gratitude to God who is acquainted with all my ways—not only the roads on which I travel, but also the ways in which I go about living into my vocation.  I lean into the promise that I cannot be lost.