Monday, March 18, 2019

Simple pleasures

Monday in the Second Week of Lent

My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;
I will sing and make melody.
Psalm 57:7

I almost stop myself as I reach for a favorite spoon in order to scoop out my yoghurt, about to deny myself this simple pleasure. If I use the spoon now, it won’t be there another time on perhaps a more important occasion, an inner voice rationalizes. At least, not until it is washed again.

Thus, in a small way, I can step away from joy. The tempter excels in subtle.

The spoon itself actually belongs to my oldest daughter, a gift to her when she was a toddler. I love it for the person who gave it to her, for its reminder of a wonderful time in childrearing, and because it is well crafted and fits nicely in my hand.

I pick it up, and with purpose turn my attention away from the rationalizing whisper and toward the delight this one modest act adds to my day. I turn toward the memory and relationships and love embodied by this everyday object. I turn toward the one who created me, and where I know my heart is firmly fixed.