Thursday, March 21, 2019

Gracefilled crossing

Thursday in the Second Week of Lent

My mouth shall recount your mighty acts and saving deeds all day long;
though I cannot know the number of them.
Psalm 71:15


As I pull out of the parking lot I consider my route. I have an errand to run on my way home and a choice between two bridges. One way or another, I have to cross the river.

I make a decision and pull into traffic heading toward the newly renovated bridge. For two years the bridge was under construction. First one lane and then another were closed, clogging traffic and training us to use alternate routes. When the work was finally complete, I remember my daughter commenting, “Every time I drive across this bridge, I feel like it is such a privilege.”

Privilege because it was easy. Privilege because it was beautiful. And privilege because it reminded us both that access is not always available to everyone.

Today I recall her comment and think the of the numerous ways the work, choices, and actions of others ease my
path—and how oblivious I am to their contributions. And encompassing us all are the works of God, which are beyond measure. I have so much for which to be grateful.

As I cross the bridge, I offer thanks for all whose labor and ingenuity make my crossing possible. And I contemplate my own choices. How I can choose to be grateful. How I can choose to be aware. And, during this season of Lent, how I can make better choices to ease the way of others.