Saturday, March 3, 2018

This forgiveness stuff

Saturday in the Second Week of Lent

"I will appoint a time," says God;
"I will judge with equity."
Psalm 75:2

"It's all about forgiveness," my mentor tells me for not the first (or fortieth) time. In this instance, we are talking about the ancient history of my young life, about hurtful burdens I have carried for so long that I can't imagine them not being essential. This, of course, is a key component of the difficulty. Some part of me does not want to let go of the possibility that I could still make others accountable for the slings and arrows lobbed my way.

But of course, I am the one with the burdens. Holding on to them doesn't punish anyone but me. They get in my way. I trip over them when I am trying to be my best self. They rear their ugly heads at odd moments whispering untruths about me and others. They tell me that they belong to me and only I can carry them. They convince me that bearing them is worthwhile. All lies of the enemy.

So, thankfully, God did not make me judge of the world. I know I would do a rotten job of that.

I'm still working on this forgiveness stuff. And thanks be to God I am not in this alone. Not only do I have gracious mentors along the way, but as it turns out I have a Savior who is all about forgiveness and wants to take my burdens from me.




Image credit: gustavofrazao / 123RF Stock Photo