Saturday, March 17, 2018

Thinking slow

Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Whoever is wise will ponder these things,
and consider well the mercies of the Lord.
Psalm 107:43


I settle into an afternoon blessedly free of demands and appointments. I approach my list of things that must be done with a sense of ease because I do not have to hurry. I can take the time to think.

So many times, when I take a breath, I find that those things which seemed so urgent settle down into their reasonable selves. It's as if tasks, issues, and even stubborn problems quiet themselves when I take the time to ponder them, when I can give each one my attention rather than juggling them and throwing out quick response after quick response.

Sometimes, I have little choice but to move fast. But the temptation is to get caught in the mode that assumes quick decisive action is always best. The enemy would have me believe that contemplation is a luxury.

But I belong to a God who created rest, who made respite holy. The one who called me into being imbued me with the capacity to muse, to imagine, to study and reflect and deliberate. To think slow.

Now, I allow my mind to wander and to wonder, and consider well the wisdom of God.



Image credit: deagreez / 123RF Stock Photo