Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Decisions, decisions

Wednesday in the Fifth Week of Lent

The heart of your word is truth;
all your righteous judgments endure for evermore.
Psalm 119:160

“I appreciate an unambiguous snowstorm,” I say to my husband early in the morning. Schools and businesses are closed, several inches already cover the streets, and the snow is still falling. A couple of weeks ago a called-for storm missed our area and preemptive closings were for naught. But today, there is no doubt that limiting travel and staying home if possible are wise choices.

Sometimes discernment easily results in clarity. It is simple to determine the path ahead and the right choice is obvious. Sometimes, even when striving to follow Jesus, a point of decision can be fraught with uncertainty, a solution indeterminate, the best way forward ambiguous.

However, I have learned that living in the tension of ambiguity can be a place of freedom, where there is not one correct answer, but a variety of creative approaches. God did create a world of diversity and imbued us with reason and imagination.

So today I am grateful for when the way is clear and grateful for when uncertainty leads to greater understanding. And I am grateful that God’s truth is broader than my mind can encompass and that it is God’s judgment which endures.