Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Sharing stories

Tuesday in the Third Week of Lent

That the generations to come might know,
and the children yet unborn;
that they in their turn might tell it to their children;
So that they might put their trust in God,
and not forget the deeds of God,
but keep God’s commandments.
Psalm 78:6-7

“Hey, the movie opens this weekend,” my daughter texts, “can I treat you?” She knows the movie is an adaptation of one of my favorite children’s books. A book I adored as a child and lovingly shared with her when she was young. She loves the book too, but even more than that, she values the sharing. She knows I have passed along something precious to her, not just the story within the book, but the story of how I came to love the story and how it made a significant mark on my life, how I admired the author and got to meet her, and how my own mother was a part of making that happen.

I have passed on more to her than the love of one book. I have offered her values, beliefs, ideals. I am sure I have also passed along less useful attributes as well, and she will have to sort that out for herself. In loving others, we hand over ourselves, with our gifts and our shortcomings.

I am grateful for the stories my daughter and I share, for the story that is us, and for the story of love in which we both live.