Monday, March 12, 2018

Marking the way

Monday in the Fourth Week of Lent

For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;
you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
Psalm 89:2

I walk into my office and see the post-it notes all over my monitor. I had left them there last week when I was overwhelmed. Each one says, "Thank you Jesus." I wrote them after I had been overwhelmed with gratefulness.

And today, after time away, they greet me. Like bread crumbs or stones left to mark a path, they are there to remind me of the way. Even, or perhaps especially, as I wend my way through the landscape of Lent, through temptation and forgiveness, repentance and reconciliation, humility and soul searching, it is gratitude that I discover when I am broken open, and thankfulness that draws me closer to Christ.

God is faithful. I do not travel alone.