Friday, March 9, 2018

The expanding list

Friday in the Third Week of Lent

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,
and to sing praises to your Name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning
and of your faithfulness in the night season.
Psalm 92:1-2

I review the day that is past, ready to enumerate moments of gratitude. Somedays, thankfulness is easy to come by. At other times, I find I have overlooked the gifts of grace afforded me. I have learned that it is when I practice gratitude that I become most aware of God's loving presence in my life.

And so, the list begins: For getting to know someone better. For storytelling and laughter. For gaining deeper understanding because I listened. For soaking up some sunshine. For a conversation that called me to myself. For receiving a compliment.

I begin to smile. As my list grows, it's as if my soul expands. I feel like I am breathing in goodness and light. And soon a prayer of thankfulness spills out, and I find myself, once again, lifted up.




Image credit: lovelyday12 / 123RF Stock Photo