Monday, March 5, 2018

Restless soul

Monday in the Third Week of Lent

I think of God, I am restless,
I ponder, and my spirit faints.
Psalm 77:3


The last vestiges of the recent storm are fading. The spring squall arrived with astonishing fierceness. Rain became sleet became thick snow in a matter of minutes, as the wind raged downing trees and power lines. Even now, days later, some areas are still waiting for the electricity to be restored.

The day before the storm was all warmth and sunshine. The morning after, the piles of snow quickly began to melt. Even in the midst of the ferocity, moments of calm beauty asserted themselves: large snowflakes falling gently, trees edged with sparkling white, a softened cityscape.

Sometimes my life in Christ is like being caught up in a restless storm. At times my soul is pummeled by the fierceness of need and yearning, and at other times I seem to stumble into unanticipated solace. I am often caught unawares by the power of the holy. A tame God seems so much easier to deal with.




Image credit: eldadcarin / 123RF Stock Photo