Saturday, March 8, 2014

Thirst

Saturday after Ash Wednesday

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,
   so longs my soul for you, O God.  Psalm 42:1

By the time I reach for the water to assuage my thirst, I realize I have been thirsty for a long time. When was the last time I drank anything, I think, as I review the day behind me.  I try to be very conscientious about my water consumption, usually keeping a glass on my desk and filling it several times a day.

I have read that by the time the mind registers thirst, the body is already beginning to be dehydrated.

One of the gifts of the desert is thirst. The reminder that we need to partake of life-giving water in order to live. One of the gifts of the wilderness journey is thirst. Can I still my mind and body and soul long enough to become aware of my need for the living water that is Christ?