Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Minding My Step

Wednesday in the Third Week of Lent

Your word is a lantern to my feet,
   and a light upon my path.  Psalm 119:105




“Take off your cleats before you enter the house.”

“Can I take them off on the mat inside? It’s cold out.” 

I nod my acquiescence as the chill wind makes us both shiver. The softball field has only recently emerged from banks of snow, and I don’t want my daughter tracking clumps of sod all through the house.

Muddy cleats are easy to spot and ban. But then I think of the rest of us. What are we tracking into the house? I reflect on where my feet have been today, about the different paths I have walked. Perhaps there are traces of discontent and annoyance along with satisfaction of work well done in my footsteps. It would be good idea, I reason, to shake the dust of worry from my feet and intentionally step into the light of love.

I wipe my feet on the mat, smile at God for the gift of this grace, and enter my house with thanksgiving.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014
Image credit: sirikul2010 / 123RF Stock Photo