Thursday, March 20, 2014

Song

Thursday in the Second Week of Lent

My lips will sing with joy when I play to you,
   and so will my soul, which you have redeemed. Psalm 71:23

As I hear the familiar tune take shape, I begin to gently hum. It is a Taizé chant, and at first I can’t remember the words. Then my daughter adds her voice, and together we sing. I take joy in the way her confident alto intertwines with my softer soprano. 

I am not a great or frequent singer. But singing with others, listening to those voices and leaning in on them, carries me into a place where I am within the song. As the chant continues, I cry out to God in yearning, supplication, and praise. My soul is lifted up along with my voice and I find myself within a joy that far exceeds the happy thought with which I first opened my lips.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014