Friday, March 21, 2014

Holding Hands

Friday in the Second Week of Lent

Yet I am always with you;
   you hold me by my right hand.  Psalm 73:23



I watch the toddler reach up and put his hand in his mother’s. I remember that moment.  When my children first began to walk, I would hold one of their tiny hands in mine, encouraging them, steadying them, ready to grab tight if they began to fall. But then came that particular moment for each daughter, when instead of me reaching for her hand, she would reach for mine. Her choice.

Now, I think of God’s hand, always there, never failing to reach for me and hold me fast. And like that boy, like my daughters, I can also initiate the moment, reaching up to place my hand confidently in God’s. My choice. Every moment of everyday, I can choose to reach out to the one who loves me, protects me, helps me learn to walk in so many ways.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014
Image credit: inspirestock / 123RF Stock Photo