Friday, March 28, 2014

Luxury

Friday in the Third Week of Lent

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,
   and to sing praises to your Name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning
   and of your faithfulness in the night season.  Psalm 92:1-2

As I set my alarm and prepare for sleep, I feel again a breath of pleasant anticipation. At first I am slightly perplexed about just what it is I have to look forward to tomorrow. Then I remember. In the morning, I will not be in a rush.

Many mornings, my prayer time fits into a precise slot.  But tomorrow, I will be able to settle gently into my space of quiet and mediation and I will have the luxury of time. I will soak up the love of Jesus that will carry me through the day. And I will fill a reservoir with God’s sustaining promise for the harried times ahead when I will depend on the quick one-liners of “help” and “sorry” and “thanks,” thrown like lifelines to the Most High.

Even now, as the night darkens, I begin my morning prayer of gratitude and praise.

copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014