Saturday, March 15, 2014

Perspective

Saturday in the First Week of Lent

And I said, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
   I would fly away and be at rest.
I would flee to a far-off place
  and make my lodging in the wilderness.
I would hasten to escape
   from the stormy wind and tempest.”   Psalm 55:7-9


As I drive along a straight stretch of highway, I watch a hawk soaring above. What does the world look like to her?

So often I struggle for perspective. I try to get up on the balcony, get a bird’s eye view, strive for some critical distance. I seek out the quiet place to think, the space that makes it possible to maneuver, room to breathe.

The wilderness is more than a place of trial and deprivation and struggle. It is also a refuge, a retreat, a haven. So much is possible. What can I see from here, and now? How can I soar? How am I already soaring?



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014