Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Not a Waste

Tuesday in the Second Week of Lent

For God alone my soul in silence waits;
   truly, my hope is in him.  Psalm 62:6

By the time I get my daughter to her softball practice, my only recourse is to wait. If I drove home, I would only have to turn around to drive right back. I have no errands to run. I can think of nothing nearby that would be a useful destination.

I’m sure if I entered the athletic center, there would be a place to sit. But it would probably be noisy and I might have to make small talk with other parents. I don’t really have the energy for that today. What I genuinely crave is quiet. So I choose to sit in my car.

Even so, I am torn between wanting to make good use of my time (I have my computer with me, I could work) and thinking a nap sounds lovely. I have an hour. I don’t want to waste it. And why do I think sitting still, settling into the quiet, resting my body and mind is a waste of time?

The hour is not mine, but God’s. And in the silence, I am able to remember this.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014