Thursday, March 27, 2014

Star Bright

Thursday in the Third Week of Lent

The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;
in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.    Psalm 42:10



As we walk into the cold night air, I suddenly notice the stars, “Look!”

My family stops as we all take in the ordinary splendor of a starry night. Living in the constant illumination of the city, we seldom see the stars so clearly. But we have been visiting friends who live beyond the urban glare, and in the clear night sky the luminosity is breathtaking.

It has been an evening full of laughter; I did not realize how thirsty I was for mirth. The beauty of the heavens is a fitting finale to our evening. Both the laughter and the stars remind me of the extraordinary blessing to be found in the ordinary. I travel home filled with the good of friendship and play and starlight. 

As I settle in for sleep, thankful that I have been refreshed and rejuvenated by the day that is past, I realize that the song of the day is not ended. Rather, it simply changes key as God’s goodness continues to shine all through the night.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014