Saturday, March 2, 2024

Out of focus

Saturday in the Second Week of Lent

O tarry and await the Lord’s pleasure;
be strong, and God shall comfort your heart;
wait patiently for the Lord.
Psalm 27:18


The awaited for crocus blooms expose a splash of purple in the midst of a cold rain. I had expected them to first reveal themselves to bright sunshine. Nevertheless, I stoop to take a picture, wanting to capture this first glimpse. Yet despite several tries, the flowers remain out of focus. It is the blade-like leaves that stand out sharply.

Unexpected too are the ways my Lenten path veers from anticipated directions. Things which I thought would be my focus fade into the background while what I presumed to be inconsequential captures my attention.

And I am reminded that the unforeseen is also in God’s hands. If I tarry, if I wait and see what is put in front of me, I am more likely to notice when God calls my attention.