Friday, March 1, 2024

Weathering

Friday in the Second Week of Lent

I have grown weary with my crying;
my throat is inflamed;
my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Psalm 69:4

 

Bright sunshine and bitter wind pummel me, competing for my attention as I cross the uneven ground of the yard. There is no path toward my destination, a piece of downspout that has been ripped from its place by the fierce gusts. I need to put it right, before it is blown out of my reach and beyond repairing.
 
This too is how my Lenten journey progresses at times, across uneven ways with no clear path as I seek to put right what has been torn asunder in my life, feeling still fierce reminders of the devastation of the past four years.
 
Yet even in this wilderness I can perceive the signposts of tenacious hope, determined resilience, defiant new life. My eyes may be weary from seeking, yet the Holy One is ever-present. My soul may be timid; the creative force of God is not.