Friday, March 15, 2024

Entrusting hope

Friday in the Fourth Week of Lent
 
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim
the God redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
Psalm 107:2

 
Sweet sounds of the mandolin accompany my morning devotion. As I settle into prayer, my spouse’s music practice also acknowledges the sacred. The tune is Celtic, a bit mournful, a bit transcendent. A bit perfect for this moment in Lent.
 
Just as I am somewhat startled by the signs of spring, which seem to have arrived suddenly even though expected, I am surprised that I have come so far in my journey in the wilderness. I have stumbled many times in the past weeks; God continues to set my feet upon a sure path.
 
Acknowledging grief and mourning, sensing the mystical, recognizing my yearning for the holy, I entrust my hope to God’s mercy and step once again into the wilderness.