Saturday, March 23, 2024

Thirst

Saturday in the Fifth Week of Lent

My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;
when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
Psalm 42:2


The rain is irregular and unremitting, coming in bursts, downpours, trickles as the day progresses. Hardly steady and yet continuous.

It seems the perfect accompaniment to my Lent. My progress has not been steady. I have strayed, stumbled, sometimes balked. Yet I have continued.

And I will finish. I will complete the way. Honestly, at this point it is no longer a choice, not at all up to me. I have given myself over to the stream of events that will carry me to the foot of the cross. Because I know no other way.

I hear the rain once again roar into a deluge. And I feel thirst in my throat and body and soul, the yearning for completion, the longing for salvation, and the certainty that I am being drawn toward redeeming love.