Monday, March 18, 2024

Safe

Monday in the Fifth Week of Lent

Into your hands I commend my spirit,
for you have redeemed me,
O Lord, O God of truth.
Psalm 31:5


The spring day remains bright, and still I do not step out into the sunshine. I had planned to go for a long walk. Yet I feel wedded to the comfort of my chair and my soft sweatshirt and the throw on my lap. Leaving the safety of this snug nest seems beyond me.

At times, I find the upheaval of the pandemic years reasserts itself within my soul and I crave security and reassurance. The grief from that time is like a stream that sometimes trickles and sometimes floods it banks and often changes course. Today it is lapping at my toes.

I acknowledge the grief. I shake hands with it while at the same time stretching out my other hand to the One who saves me.

I know that God is my help and my salvation. I have experienced God’s love and mercy over and over again. In years past, and on this Lenten path. So now, I place myself once again into the hands of my savior and remember that I am already redeemed, already safe, forever loved.