Thursday, March 14, 2024

Confession

Thursday in the Fourth Week of Lent

In your great mercy, O God,
answer me with you unfailing help.
Psalm 69:15


For the umpteenth time I pick up my phone. I stop myself before I swipe the screen. I do not need to see all the apps. I do not need anything at all that can be found through this device. I set it down.

I have been trying to pray, to enter into conversation with God, to be attentive to my relationship with the one who loved me into being. And as is usually the case, distraction is close at hand. Because the enemy would much rather I check the weather or play a game or read the news than strengthen my connection with the Holy One.

I settle myself again, knowing I am already (and always) in God’s presence. And what comes from my heart is sadness. Regret that I have given space to so many distractions. Disappointment in my choices that have led me to disregard the holy. Grief.

All of this I confess. And in return I sense God’s loving-kindness, am aware of mercy. I repent. I turn again to God. And I recommit myself to the Lenten path, this journey toward wholeness, and the promise of transformation.