Monday, March 14, 2022

Vow

Monday in the Second Week of Lent
 
I am bound by the vow I made to you, O God;
I will present to you thank offerings.
Psalm 56:11

 
 
My morning includes an unexpected journey. Having gotten up early to take my daughters to the train after a wonderful visit, we discover that a problem on the track has kept the train from running. The solution sends me on a four-hour round trip.
 
I do not mind the drive. Extra time for conversation with two I love on the way out, an audio book that I am enjoying on the way back. My first meeting is not until later in the day, and the emails will just have to wait.
 
I am already home when I remember my writing. The daily rhythm of prayer, meditation, composing a reflection, and then posting it is an important part of my Lenten discipline. It keeps me attentive to God’s presence, engaged in self-examination, and honest about my own need to repent. And I usually send it out first thing in the morning.
 
This practice, over the more than ten years that I have done it, has taught me how to accept God’s mercy--and to be more gentle with myself. My commitment, my vow, to this work is for and with God. And I am always the recipient of so much grace.
 
I will not fret that this is late. The practice brings me once again into the presence of the holy, and I am grateful.