Friday, March 11, 2022

Light and Rest

Friday in the First Week of Lent

Open my lips, O Lord,
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Psalm 51:16

Having woken in the night and then found sleep again, I open my eyes to bright sunlight. I immediately offer a prayer of thanks. For the light, for the warmth of the covers, for feeling more rested.

Light and rest. The beginning and the culmination of creation. God’s first creative act was to call forth light. Not at first the sun, moon, and stars, but light itself. I think of the light accompanying the calling forth the rest of creation through the seventh day, which was rest itself.

Light and rest mark my Lenten way. The searing light of self-examination, the gentle dawn of contrition, the warm glow of forgiveness and acceptance. The simple relief found in breathing in and out, the respite granted by moments of beauty, the deep rest of contentment.

May not a day go by that I do not open my lips in praise for the God of creation.


 

Image by andriish22 from Pixabay