Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Thirst

Tuesday in the Third Week of Lent

God split the hard rocks in the wilderness
and gave them drink as from the great deep.
Psalm 78:13


In the pre-dawn I am already on the road, leg one of a journey that will take me across the country. I reach for my water bottle only to discover it is empty. It will be a while before I can refill it.

I begin to feel the thirst like an ache deep in my bones. It is perhaps exacerbated by my interrupted sleep.

Simple things, water and sleep. Everyday things---except when they are not. I hear a long-ago voice giving advice to a new mother. Drink when you can. Rest when you can.

My soul also thirsts and aches for reassurance. That I am on the right path, that I am following God’s call, that I am being faithful. That rest will come.

And again, I reach for the comfort of the psalms. I will drink from the abundance God provides in the wilderness. I will rest in the assurance of God’s faithfulness. 




Image by soumen82hazra from Pixabay