Thursday, March 21, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Thursday in the Fifth Week of Lent

When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;
     in the way wherein I walk, they have hidden a trap for me. 
Psalm 142:3


I know better. I have made a discipline of rejecting such offers. Nevertheless, I find myself reading the small print in the flyer. After all, it has the words “Ultimate Chocolate” printed boldly across the front. The picture is pretty enticing as well.

Of course, highly paid experts have designed the advertisement to grab my attention and keep it. For a low price I can order the classic introductory selection of 26 deliciously filled chocolates. Introductory is the key word. I would be buying in to a tasting club with monthly deliveries, at a much steeper price.

There is nothing wrong about wanting chocolate. Or about choosing to make monthly payments for gourmet chocolate, or even about buying into the introductory offer and then cancelling “at any time.” Except that I don’t need fancy chocolates from Britain. And exercising good stewardship of our resources does not include this expense.

In truth, I yearn for something deeper; the offer is a distraction along my path. I am tempted because I am weary, and in my heart of hearts I know that no matter how good the chocolates are, they will not feed my soul.  It is easy to confuse hunger for connection with hunger for luxury. I know, because I have been lost along that short cut before.

I show the flyer to my daughter, who rolls her eyes at me and tells me to throw it away. I know she is right. Nevertheless, I cannot quite let go of the allure. I tuck it into my book. Maybe I will look at it again later.

 


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013