Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Saturday in the Fifth Week of Lent

Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me,
     and bring me to your holy hill
     and to your dwelling.
   Psalm 43:3


I wake before the dawn, pulling on warm socks, wrapping a sweater around me, seeking the comfort of familiar patterns and ritual. Giving thanks for the day before, asking guidance for the day that is emerging.

Today I will spend the morning with young people, who will begin to prepare a service for Good Friday, offering their gifts to lead others into the mystery of the passion. Taking their place in leadership within the congregation. Lifting their hearts and voices.

These children and tweens and teens will be my light today. They will grace me with their stories. They will be my companions as together we wend our way along the final twists and turns of our Lenten pilgrimage. I might be lost without them.

And with the hope their presence lends my heart, I move from the safety of my comfortable sweater into the brightening of the day.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013