Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Maundy Thursday

Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come before you;
     hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble. 
  Psalm 102:1

The sky brightens, the morning birdsong gives way to the regular thrum of traffic, signaling the beginning of another day, a typical day. The world around me is moving on, but I hesitate.

Am I ready to enter the present moment? Am I prepared to step into the otherness of the three days ahead? Do I have the courage?

Despite the normalcy around me, I know this time as something apart, and I am unsure of my next step. The way of the wilderness, the way of the cross, the way of life, is not straight. Rather, it curves and twists and obscures the landscape ahead.

Nevertheless, I set me feet upon the path. I choose this way. Because I have been walking it a long time, because I have been this way before even as nothing looks familiar, because when I give myself to the tumult I know that I am not alone.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013