Saturday, March 9, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Saturday in the Third Week of Lent

Give thanks to the God of heaven
    for his mercy endures forever. 
Psalm 136:26

I look at the two boxes and various other items stacked by the door and contemplate how I might get them to the car in one trip. If I repack those two boxes into one, sling a bag over each shoulder, grab that book in one hand…I still won’t make it in one trip. I reassess the situation. I probably can’t make it in just two trips either. Sigh.

As I adopt a more reasonable plan for transportation, a new thought emerges.  As long as I am going to be making multiple trips anyway, why make it hard on myself? Why not carry lighter, more reasonable loads?

I pick up the first box and head to my car. Although the day began gloomy, the sun has finally made a brave appearance, painting the sky a watery blue. Late winter sky. Early spring sky. In between sky. I enjoy the freshness of the air as I head back to get my second load. Then my third, and my fourth.  None of the loads are cumbersome and as I complete my task, I realize the stress of the situation has been replaced with a sense of calm contentment. Huh.

Why did I feel a need to accomplish this mission in one, overburdened, difficult trip? And as I examine that question, I am confronted by another. Why do I insist on doing things the hard way, as if that somehow makes the tasks more worthy? Or myself?

Today I find mercy in letting go of the hard way. Grace in choosing the patient path. Peacefulness in trusting in God.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013