Friday, March 29, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Good Friday

In his hands are the caverns of the earth
   and the heights of the hills are his also. 
  Psalm 95:4


I crave the silence this morning. If I could, I would step out of my house and walk into the desert. Walk until I have left all behind. Walk until I am enveloped in complete solitude. Walk until I am so weary I have no choice but to let go of all the anger and fear and doubt and shame that shadow my days.

I want to enter the raging storm, the whirlwind, the turmoil. I yearn to submit to the fiercely blown sand of the desert that obscures the sun and rips flesh to shreds. To follow the vortex to the depths of human anguish. And there to meet my savior. To discover and hold fast to the truth that nowhere is beyond God. And then to ask for the wild sands to cleanse me.



 

copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013