Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thursday in the Fourth Week of Lent

When my mind became embittered,
   I was sorely wounded in my heart.
  Psalm 73:21

I hear the complaint come out of my mouth and I almost cover my face with my hands to prevent any more grumbling from escaping my lips. Because I realize that I have been complaining for a bit now, that I have indulged in a litany of criticism.

I know this path. The more I find fault and assign blame, the more tainted and burdened I feel.  It is my own soul I damage with bitterness.

I once sat with a friend who was dying from a devastating disease. “I refuse to be bitter,” he told me. “I don’t want that to be the way I live my last days.” I don’t think I understood until that moment that bitterness was a choice.

To be honest, this is a lesson I am still trying to take to heart. Before I even know I have made the choice, I can find myself in a spiral of resentment. The remedy is to make other choices. The antidote is to practice kindness, thankfulness, humility, and prayer.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013