Friday, March 15, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Friday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Let this be written for a future generation
  so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord. 
  Psalm 102:18

This morning I reach for the book as I settle in for prayer. It used to always be the book. A particular book that contains the daily prayers and reading and psalms for the year. But these days I might be praying from my computer. Or digital tablet. And almost unbelievable to me are the times when I am traveling or on the go or in the midst of busyness that I reach for my phone. I have an app for that.

Now as I pray again words that I have prayed for years, I realize in a deeper way the timelessness of what I do. Regardless of the technology that conveys them, the prayers that I yearn for in the morning and relax into in the evening are ancient. The psalms have been voiced for thousands of years in more languages and more places than I can count.

Today, in this time and place, in any time or place, I add my voice to more than seventy generations of those who have praised God with these words. I lament, weep, shout, rejoice, protest, demand, relent, thank, acclaim, revere, worship. I hunger and thirst for God alone in my room and in the midst of a multitude.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013