Monday, March 11, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Monday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Happy are the people who know the festal shout!
   they walk, O Lord, in the light of your presence.
They rejoice daily in your Name;
   They are jubilant in your righteousness.
  Psalm 89:15-16


I sit quietly in an in-between time sinking into the luxury of waiting. In a life full of occupation and obligation, I have learned that focusing on rest rather than impatience is more life sustaining. Not that I always manage this feat. But for this moment I am content. And then I hear the voice.

A rich baritone echoes along the hallway and I find myself moving toward the source. A rehearsal.  I settle in to listen and a heartbeat later am astonished at the magnificence of the sound. The exquisite tones cascade into the space and just when I think my body cannot absorb one more glorious note, his voices deepens and expands with a resonance I didn’t think possible.

The sound transports me into a plane of holy otherness. I have been looking for, expecting to find treasure in the wilderness of Lent. But this one catches me off guard, takes my breath away and when it returns to me life is not the same.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013