Saturday, March 2, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Saturday in the Second Week of Lent

You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me.  Psalm 23:5

I wake up with two or three dialogues going in my head. Still trying to solve yesterday’s dilemmas, my brain simultaneously imagines scenarios for tomorrow and the next day. For some reason the theme is difficulty.

I know one approach to this predicament. I reach for my prayer book, and as I settle in to my morning devotion, I review the day before with a litany of thanksgiving. Then I see the grace that was there as well. A bowl of ice-cream. A movie with my family. A friendship rejuvenated.  An important conversation.

God’s abundance is ever present. When I am surrounded by troubles, confronted by people or tasks that pull me off center, even there I can look for God’s table and choose to feast on love rather than the bread of anxiety.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013