Saturday, April 5, 2014

Thankful to be Thankful

Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;
   I will sing and make melody.  Psalm 108:1

I walk into the warm afternoon and stretch muscles that have been hunched over the computer keyboard for far too long. I lift my face to be caressed by the sun and in the next moment I reach my arms all the way to heaven and say aloud, “Thank you Jesus!”

I am thankful for the spring afternoon and for being out in the fresh air. I am thankful for work completed and for the pleasant anticipation of sharing my gifts with others in the upcoming days. I am thankful for the knowledge that it is God who sustains me and for the ability to see and recognize God’s handiwork in the world all about me. But most of all, I am thankful for feeling my heart stretch across time and trouble to fix on and be enfolded in God’s love.

I am thankful to be thankful. And because my heart is overflowing, I pull out my phone on an impulse and call across the country to one of the most joyful people I know—because this melody deserves to be sung by more than one voice.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014