Friday, April 11, 2014

Reminiscence

Friday in the Fifth Week of Lent

I remember the time past;
I muse upon all you deeds;
   I consider the works of your hands.  Psalm 143:5

As I reach to replace the paper towel roll I pause. I used to keep the empty rolls. I would never toss them, but tuck them into a cupboard for safekeeping because they were great for art projects when my children were little and I never knew when one would come in handy. I smile as I also remember my husband’s sometime exasperation at this packrat behavior.

Now I reminisce about art projects and the growth of my children. About how we wanted to instill so much in their lives. Creativity. Joy of learning. Care for people and the world around them.

And care of their souls. This too is part of the pattern of our lives. God’s love reached for, sacred stories told year after year, faith rituals woven into our life at home. And underneath this all, the ancient pattern. God at work in our lives and in the world. A song, a dance, a story that lives before and during and after us, carrying us into and through the wilderness, preparing us always like soil into which seeds will be lovingly dropped, and watered, and encouraged to reach tendrils of new life to the sun.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014